Saturday 15 July 2023

 

Roni.

 

It’s difficult to imagine life without Roni.

Our 57 years together, measured by any standard is certainly a long time.

We shared many unforgettable experiences. We raised four wonderful children and were blessed with equally wonderful grandchildren.

 


Both of us travelled overseas visiting many countries and had the privilege of serving Israel as emissaries (schlichim) to the Zionist youth movement and the Jewish Community in Melbourne, Australia.

I met Roni when we were both on holiday in Netanya. I came from Kibbutz Nirim in the Gaza periphery and Roni arrived during a break in her studies at the Oranim seminar. Her home and family were firmly rooted in Kibbutz Ein Harod Ihud,

Roni was the second of four daughters born to Gad and Naomi Tavel. Both her parents came to the kibbutz in 1937 from Germany.

I was born in England, grew up in New Zealand and ‘made’ Aliya in 1961.

From this brief preamble it’s easy to see that we came for different places and backgrounds. Furthermore, we had vastly different interests, but they never clashed.

We never competed with one another I admired her handicraft skills and her wonderful ability to maintain contact with all our relatives and friends. In a similar, but different way I assumed the role of the keeper of family documents and records.

Roni was a warm and loving mother to our children and always welcomed my daughter Daphna (from my first marriage) and her husband Mark on their many visits to Israel.

I sorely miss my beloved wife and treasure the memory of our happy life together.

 

Beni       15th of July, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment